Solar thermal technologies use the sun's heat energy to heat substances (such as water or air) for applications such as space heating, pool heating and water heating for homes and businesses. There are a variety of products on the market that utilize thermal energy. Often the products used for this application are called solar thermal collectors and can be mounted on the roof of a building or in some other sunny location. The sun's heat can also be used to produce electricity on a large utility-scale by converting the sun's heat energy into mechanical energy.
Solar energy is now preferred for generating electricity because Solar Energy Power Systems are:
- reliable, and
- COST EFFECTIVE
Utilizing only 1% of the earth's sunny regions to produce clean solar electric energy would provide more electricity than is currently being produced on the entire planet by fossil fuels.
Solar technologies are projected to follow similar market penetration commercialization paths to that of other high technology products such as the fax machine, the cellular telephone and the personal computer.
Reasons to Choose Solar Energy
Simplicity- Solar Energy systems create electricity directly from sunlight. They come prepackaged, ready to be installed and wired. Modules contain no moving parts, reducing or eliminating service and maintenance needs.
- Versatility – Solar Energy systems come in a range of sizes and output. They are lightweight, allowing for easy and safe transportation in any terrain.
- Modularity - New modules can be easily added to existing systems to expand with power needs.
- Durability – Solar Energy systems are manufactured to withstand the most rugged conditions. Modules are designed to endure extreme temperatures, at any elevation, in high winds, and with any degree of moisture or salt in the atmosphere. Systems are designed with storage capabilities to provide consistent, high-quality power even when the sun isn't shining.
- Reliability - Not only do Solar Energy systems perform in almost any environment, they are built and guaranteed to last 20 to 30 years or more before any part is replaced. The service and maintenance costs incurred over the life of the system are far lower than conventional alternatives.
- Non-Polluting - Since Solar Energy systems produces energy without fuel consumption, systems do not emit toxic gases and they don't make noise. And, solar energy system does not cause habitat destruction from cooling, damming or waste destruction like nuclear, fossil fuel and hydro plants.
Africa Solar Energy Potentials
Solar energy represents a huge domestic energy resource for Africa, who is naturally endowed with some of the best solar resource levels in the world. For example, an area approximately the size of Ibadan (in South West Nigeria) has the potential to supply all of the electric needs of the whole of Nigeria.
Although some renewable power technologies provide an intermittent energy supply, large-scale thermal electric solar technologies can provide firm dispatchable power through the integration of thermal energy storage. Thermal energy storage allows solar thermal energy collected during the day to be used to generate solar electricity to meet the utility’s peak loads, whether during the raining or dry seasons. Solar energy is abundant and free. Studies indicate that even at moderate levels of deployment, large-scale solar power can potentially compete directly with conventional fossil generation.
MiRACLE Technologies provides Solar and Renewable Energy systems for:
- Independent Power Plant [IPP]